Sunday, 18 February 2007

A Beef Patty and Some Cocoa Bread

Or in my case a chicken patty without cocoa bread...
This weekend my friend Toi and I went to the Portobello Road market. And it was a lot of fun. But really really crowded. I kept on checking my purse like a paranoid white lady does when she sees a young Black man, because London is famous for its pickpockets and I'm a little too poor to get jacked. As we went from stall to stall we came across a Jamaican patty vendor. And I swear I wanted to kiss the cook. That patty was exactly what I needed. High off the curry from my patty and inspired to eat more Caribbean food I bought some plantains from a produce vendor who asked if we made the patties ourselves. Do I look like Tantie Golden Crust? And when I got home that evening after trying to make some inroads into my schoolwork I fried up some plantains and coated them with sugar for my friends, just like I used to do with my Grandmother. Plantains taste like sunshine to me. Sunshine and grease.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish Tantie Golden Crust was real...

Michael said...

Hooray for you getting a blog. And yum, chicken patties. I'll have to get one tomorrow. :)