http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/02/11/travel/11dayout.html?ex=1329022800&en=fbc17c426c393619&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink
I recently got back from my weekend in Oxford, visiting another Amherst friend studying abroad. When I got back to my flat and my trusty computer to catch up on the news I missed I see that the NY Times has been chronicling my trip to the University town for me. I knew we had that kind of relationship. Follow the above link and you'll get to read about what I did this weekend. Or what I should've done if my friend and I in our quest to watch good ole American tv got sucked into season 2 of America's Next Top Model.
Going into Oxford is like living history. The structures are all absurdly old, dating back to when the US still belonged to Native Americans and the British Empire was beginning to flex its muscles. But then the city itself is so modern and pretty diverse. As a belated birthday treat my friend took me to high tea, which is like a meal. They give you your own tea kettle, little salmon and cream cheese sandwiches (not as bad as it sounds), a scone (which was really a fancy English muffin), jam and chocolates. Although I'm more of a coffee guzzling girl myself, I felt so appropriate and proper sipping tea out of my little cup. England is kinda nice sometimes...
But then other times I miss home like crazy, like when I went to see "Music and Lyrics" a new Drew Barrymore and Hugh Grant movie. I'm not crazy about Drew, she seems to play the same character to me and lovable Hugh is getting old. But I do jump at any chance to hear American accents. The film was set in NYC with lots of scenes at 72nd street, one of my hangouts back in high school, when my friends from LaGuardia and I used to window shop at Urban Outfitters then walk to Central Park to get a hot dog from our favorite street vendor.
And, I missed the Grammys. The one award show where you know Black folks are going to win the bulk of the awards. And now the Dixie Chicks are trying to take our shine on that.
But there is always pandora.com where can listen to my Nina Simone and After 7 radio stations, possibly the best website to ever happen to me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hello Ashley,
I'm enjoy reading your blog. It sounds like you are having quiet an experiencing. I read this poem in the editor's page from Essence Magazine and thought of you. The poem by Marianne Williamson is titled "Our Deepest Fear." "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God." I'm proud that you are expressing every ounce of your God-given talent.
And you've got it remember that.
Love ya
Mommy
Post a Comment