Thursday, 15 February 2007

Cheers!


Since when did Starbucks become the latest destination of the PDA crowd? As I read Beloved for class, a couple sat right in front of me and proceeded to make-out while I read about Sethe's and her fam. (Shouts to Toni Morrison for topping the NYTimes list of the Greatest novels of the 20th Century with that book). In an effort to shake off the awkwardness I decided to explore my neighborhood a little...
I live in the London borough of Islington, really close to this neighborhood called Angel. Its like the London version of Brooklyn Heights. After I left the coffeeshop, I wandered off to the shopping center in town then the HMV, where album prices are much cheaper than back at home. Only problem is something called Urban Music. I don't really want to see Anita Baker next to Ja-Rule. They really should've just cut out the middle man and put Black People Music. Well at least Jazz had its own section. Anyway I picked up a 5 pound copy of Stevie Wonder's "Music of my Mind". And when I went up to the till (what the UK folk call cash registers), the cashier said "cheers", after everything. I hand him the money, "cheers". scans the cd, "cheers". "Have a nice day", "Cheers". Is that the national motto?
As I walk around Angel, thinking of places to visit and trying to look like I'm not a foreigner I get an intense craving for pizza. One of the things from home I miss the most is good Pizza and chicken patties. No kebab spot can take the place of Golden Crust. So I walk. And walk. And walk. Then in the horizon is a Pizza Hut (further up is a Papa Johns, but at this point I don't have the strength to explore any farther). I place my order, then wait for like 30 mins to get a dang pan pizza! At least they gave me a free order of buffalo wings for the long wait. Since the walk back to my building was kind of far I think I exercised enough to merit eating the greasy food.

And now as I enjoy my new Stevie Wonder record my faith in God is solidified that much more. Listening to one as gifted as he, I know that its not just a fluke. God knew that giving Stevie this exceptional talent would soothe hearts and minds all over the world. Music can sometimes enable me to feel things I hadn't known or simply to push me to work on the things I know God gave me to do.

No comments: