Wednesday, 21 February 2007

Let there be Lent

So its looks like I'm not alone in my giving up Facebook for Lent. Check out Trinity College's top 10 list of things to give up for this the trendiest of somber observances: The Tripod. I really thought that it was a uniquely Ashley-esque thing to refrain from. But apparently Trinity College and I have more in common than I thought, besides the fact that we are both Episcopalian. I actually considered going there, but when they sent me my letter of admission they forgot to include my financial aid package. And well, I didn't want to go to a school that would mess around with my money (or lack thereof). In the words of my cousin Tracy, "cause you know, my money is funny."
But at least Trinity College recognizes the fact that some people observe Lent. Here in England if one is Christian, they are often given a cockeyed glance. Many folks here equate Christianity with George Bush style swagger and uber-conservatism.And that sho nuf ain't me.
But I am about to fall out from fasting. How did Gandhi do it? I'm only doing it for a few hours, old dude would do it for a few months.

No comments: