Tuesday, 10 April 2007

travel pillow


When my mom and my sister dropped me off at JFK so I could catch my Air India red eye flight to London, my sister was gracious enough to buy me a travel pillow, like the one seen on the right (except mine in red). Planes are usually uncomfortable, and no amount of good spicy, Air India curry could make it less so. I've often looked jealously at other passengers with their own pillows, drifting off to sleep while I wiggled around trying to get comfy. Now I was one of those savvy travelers. But the pillow was also something else, and homesickness highlights everything- my sister knew I was about to hop on a 6 hour flight back to London and she tried to help make it as pleasant as possible. That's what people who love you do, they try to help you through uncomfortable or difficult spots.

And that pillow came in handy during that long ass flight as I was elbowed, pushed and shoved for hours on end by the lady sitting next to me.So, in my head I thugishly whacked her arm off as she begs forgiveness. That never happened. In real life, I tried to ignore her, and stifled laughter as I listened to my "Me Talk Pretty One Day" audio book.

Then next thing I know, the plane touches down in London and I make my way through the looonnng immigration line, pick up my suit case, drag it and my duffle to the tube, and listen to my Addicted to Race podcast (check it out!). As I'm listening to the American accents coming out of my ipod, all around me couples are taking in those first moments together, after they've reunited at the airport. Surprisingly, I didn't wallow in the fact that I wasn't in their place. I was too busy thinking about who I've left at home, and how great it will be when I see them all 5 weeks from now. Until then I'll be wearing my Princeton hoodie out, remembering great moments and making new memories.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

good call by your sister on that pillow...neck cramps are not fun (i considered getting one, but i didn't have the money...you know how London is). on another note, i'm glad to see that hoodie being put to good use ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Shley baby. I don't know if it is the pregnancy hormones or what, but I was literally sitting here at work crying as I read your blog entry. I glad that the pillow made your flight more comfortable...

Anonymous said...

Correction--
I AM glad that the pillow made your flight more comfortable. Lesson learned: proof reading does help.

Amanda said...

Hey Shay. I'm sorry to inform you but it must be the pregnancy that caused Alexis to cry.