Sunday, 15 April 2007

non parlo Italiano

Yesterday my friends and I went to Florence, Italy to get our culture on. The name for Florence in Italian in Firenze - I have no clue how the British came up with that translation...
After a 2 hour train ride from Bologna to Florence and a whole lot of walking amongst hordes of tourists we reached the city square. There I saw some of the most beautiful architecture I've ever seen in my life. As I enjoyed the scene, I also noticed that although in Italy, miles and timezones away from home, some things never change. People hustle the same things everywhere...
There were Africans selling bootleg Fendis and Chanel purses, Chinese folks doing the fake-calligraphy name posters, and street artists doing portraits all over. I felt like I was in Times Square.

We made our way through the maze of people to one museum, church and piazza after another. But the highlight of the day was seeing Michealangelo's David. It was breathtaking. I kept wondering how one man could have so much talent to crave something so amazing from one block of marble hundreds of years ago. I felt so lucky to be there, to see the veins in the Davids hands and feet close up and the earnest look in his eyes.
After looking at the sculputure from all sides i noticed a guy whip out his camera and take a picture. I'm not one to let the moment pass, so I took out my brick of a camera and got my shot of David right as a museum worker shouted out- "No Photo!".
If I got some grief from the museum staff I would've just played the ignorant tourist and shurgged and apology.
"Non parlo Italiano", my bad

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the ol' confused tourist ruse...it gets 'em every time. i'm proud of you.