Sunday, 24 February 2008

Dick Gregory from the State of the Black Union

Dick Gregory puts in down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Although, I do disagree with Bill's actions as of late. I do not think that he really embraced the idea of being "the first black president" as Mr. Gregory has alluded to. I think that was an identity that was externally imprinted upon him by black people, and now they want to hold him accountable for it...

Ashley F. said...

Toni Morrison's misstep is dubbing former Pres. Clinton our "first black president", I think was throughly embraced by Bill - he had a lot of cache within the African American community, and often curried favor with old Civil Rights leaders, made himself a presence at black congregations and if his move to Harlem wasn't largely symbolic I don't know what is. While I agree that black people are largely responsible for the notion of a Clinton "black mystique", he certainly embraced the idea (when it was politically expedient).

Ebankster said...

That had the power of 1,000 atomic explosions painted black... I could feel the emotion radiate off of DG though the screen. I'm sorry my dear but I might have to steal this one and post with a bit of my own commentary, lol.

Furthermore, I totally agree that Bill took that "Black Mystique" straight to the bank and cashed it in for all it's worth. He might not have written the check but he sure as hell spent the money! That's to say that, I totally agree, he is not responsible for his initiation into the hearts of the black community as the "first black president" but, he surely did NOT resist the membership.

Great Post!