Monday, 27 August 2007

re-orientation


Where else but college could a cynical, jaded, psuedo-world weary Brooklyn gal like me be so moved by a simple speech? It sounds hokey, but today as I listed to President Marx address the class of 2011 I was reminded about how lucky I am to be a student at Amherst (regardless of all the bull I've encountered during my tenure here).I always find college and university presidential address particularly touching because they remind one of the real reason for being cloistered in the ivy tower, learning to be intellectual snobs. We are engaging with thoughts not to simply get us that slamming job at Merrill Lynch or a coveted slot in a grad program (although my fingers are certainly crossed). It is expected that we actually, *gasp*, do something to make our time here worthwhile. To make an impact on campus, our community, and God-willing our world.
I hope this feeling doesn't fade come October...

No comments: