Sunday, 27 May 2007

the end of an era

In the summer of 2004, after my high school graduation I went on a trip to Jamaica, equipped with my discman (yes, indeed the good ole' days when such contraptions were in use), and a Modest Mouse cd, Good News for People who Love Bad News, which I played out throughout the trip (well that record and my Bob Marley Legend cd, when in Trenchtown...). The last song on Good News is called, "The Good Times are Killing Me", and in Jamaica, chillin on those sandy beaches, wading in the clear blue Caribbean Sea, and enjoying jerk chicken I really thought I got the meaning of that song. Indeed, whenever I listen to the album now I still think of Jamaica. But after going up to Amherst College to visit my friends before their commencement, I now know what it means to have good times kill.

Lots of my Amherst friends are now members of the alumni class of 2007, and as we said our goodbyes last week I realized that they have made my "Amherst experience" (the one the glossy viewbook ignores). As we barbequed, went out to the janky Monkey Bar, and windowshopped at Target I realized that this was the last time that all of us would be together as college kids. Our last few days all together were exciting yet tinged with sadness as we all understood that our time together as a unit on our homey campus were coming to a close, indeed the good times are killing me.

Next fall I start my senior year, without the friends, my safety net, who have paved the way before me. Only a year older, but they have made Amherst worthwhile, even when I was getting my transfer apps ready, they convinced me to stay and to enjoy it.

As my good friend Ashley P. packed up "our" dorm (we called it that because our rooms faced each other), I wondered how my life would be different if I'd gone to Williams (our archrival to my liberal arts college folk). Would I have met similar people? Probably. But I would not have met the dynamic men and women who have made me proud (and at times, bitter, angry, elated and frustrated) to call my self an Amherst student. Not because of the school's ranking, the 'herst hasn't been number 1 since 2003 (not that that matters, booooo Williams), but because of the friendships of made there.

Great job class of 2007 at Amherst and to family members graduating from Pace, Cornell and St. Joseph's College. Terras Irradient!!! (read in loud Tony Marx voice)