Thursday, 12 June 2008

quarter life crisis (?)


These past few weeks have hit me with a peculiar kind of ennui. I keep on going back to my old Amherst email account, reading old messages that people have sent me, looking at old pictures from my time spent at college, vacations, study abroad and those amazingly random nights where your friends are the most important people in your life. I'm pretty nostalgic for the past that has yet to become a distant memory. I only graduated this past May. I still slip up and say that I attend Amherst. But I wonder if I'm slipping into the grey area of a quarter-life crisis. Whatever that term really means.

The days right after commencement were particularly hard, as it sunk in that the folks that I shared 3 1/2 years of my life with wouldn't be living with me anymore. The real world doesn't come with palatial dorms and a meal plan the way college did. But then, I began rediscovering NYC, not as an intransigent college kid, but as a real New Yorker. And seeing my fam on the regular is a nice change from getting voice mails informing me of the latest birth in the familia.

After being a student for so long, its a weird thing to switch identities. Even weirder is the knowledge that when I put on my cap and gown and received my cane I left my childhood behind (for real, regardless of the fact that I'm now a resident of my childhood home). Or maybe after 16 of being a student, I'm given to too much self-analysis.

I'm just waiting for my world to morph into a 21st century version of Living Single
Good friends. Good careers. Great brownstone = all the undergrad fun minus the awkwardness

No comments: