Monday, 22 October 2007

panhandling for reparations

Performance artist daymali ayo took the streets of Portland and panhandled for reparations. Asking white folks for money, then writing them receipts, and finally handing it over to black passerby. I know homegirl was trying to make a point, but I'm not trying to post a block to beg for some change. How about some direct federal action instead
Recently at the College, students in "critical debates in Black Studies" were assigned a paper on this topic, writing whether they were pro or against. And as a Black Studies major this has been a point of intellectual contention since my freshman year.
Although I am pro-reparations, I remain very cynical about the movement and am pretty confident that it will never happen. Too many Euro-Americans insist that since 21st-century blacks weren't enslaved that they aren't owed anything. There are other problematics as well - what shape would it take? Is a check enough? And were do black immigrants fall? Would Caribbeans, Latin Americans and Africans get a piece as well?
Although I'm about to troll the A train for some contributions, it would be nice to have some funds to knock out these loans. Reparations, well implemented, could drastically improve to lives of millions of black Americans. But this investment into African America would take a social revolution, in which we as a nation really come to grips with our racial reality.
I'm not sure this will ever happen (but keep hope alive right?)
In the meantime, I'm planning for my escape from the states a la W.E.B DuBois. Trinidad is looking mighty good right now

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel strangely compelled to sit in the middle of my campus with a cup and donate all proceeds to to my grad school fund...

Ashley F. said...

YES!!!!
count me in

Hendrix said...

Ghana is looking better.