
Nostalgic for the past that I've never experienced and perhaps was never really here...
I sometimes feel as if I missed my decade, that instead of being born in '86, I should've come on the scene in '76 or even '66. If only to wear a dashiki in public while not at a Holloween party (I went as Kwanzaa). My favorite artists are Prince, Stevie Wonder and Chaka Khan, some of my favorite TV shows are "Kate and Alley", "Family Ties" and "The Jeffersons". And it was a golden age for black men with names starting with the letter 'M' - Malcolm, Marvin, Medgar and Martin.
It seems as though b(l)ack in the day, folks felt that there was a lot at stake and were willing to fight. and if not fight (I wouldn't want any fire hoses aimed at me), then educated themselves about current events and to a stand. For something.
Today although many of the newspapers are constantly writing about the 2008 presidential candidates, many young people aren't too aware of the who's who within that mob. Or when I do see young people moving for change it isn't us (black and brown people). At a free play this summer in Central Park about the genocide in Darfur, I only saw a smattering of colorful faces. Where were we and where are we? What are we about?
I'm sure that not everybody was marching, holding up signs of protests, and staging sit-ins during the '60s and 70s. I know there were some okie doke negroes, the dissillusioned and some who simply didn't care. But today, it sometimes feels like the people who are at the fore of social action and poltical awareness about issues important to us are white liberals. Who, however noble their intentions often get stuff wrong.
Damn crack epidemic for basically shutting down massive black political action. (COINTELPRO anyone?)
While there are some people, groups and organizations holding it down, we all need to step our collective game up.
2 comments:
The reality is that our society does not make political cosnscientiousness "cool". While our parent's generations fought the power, we have been born into the privilege thus creating a generation of nonchalants. While Diddy can tell us to rock the vote, he more often says "get that money." I have seen more "Stop snitching" tees than "I support Obama" tees... White liberals support the politically correct causes which is consistent which their culture, however aside from the occasional riot, police shooting, and black celeb incident(Isaiah Wahington) to many of us are content with yassuh boss-ing...
This blog hits home for me. I agree completely with you. As a generation we have been born into a state of "oblivious oppression." The "man" made a mistake in the 60's and 70's. They underestimated us, they put too much faith in their "Self-Perpetuated" oppression system. So they gave us some rights so we would slow down and back off a little and gave us crack to put us back in our place. That gave them time to correct all the mistakes they made, to build a better system. Now they have a more covert, systematic way of doing things to us and because we are so focused on honoring our past heroes we forget that the struggle is still raging. We've been pacified by bling and rims. We are being distracted. Let’s not get lost in the annual celebration of the same old heroes. MLK, Malcolm X ect… Just think, it’s easier for them if we just focus on a dead memory of a civil Rights movement rather then starting a NEW ONE!
Lastly, I SO wish my mother had dropped me off of in the late 60's I love the 70's and 80’s. I KNOW I would have been a good look in the early 90's. Those are times that are so near and dear to me although I have never had the luxury to experience that kind of fellowship among my people. But being able to walk down the street and see nothing but smiling, beautiful, black, faces smiling and waving and playing in the street, everyone was cool with everyone... When the term "My Brother" meant something... And I like ANY "soul" music from the 70's it was a golden age point blank period, Curtis, the Temps, Ohio Players, Rose Royce, Isaac Hayes... I just love it...
All in all... We need to stand up and realize that stuff is still going on and the fight DOES CONTINUE!!!
"This is protected by the RED, the BLACK, and the GREEN. With a KEY..."
~The D.O.C./NWA/Public Enemy~
“Heads up, eyes open, fist clenched!”
~Fred Hampton Jr.~
Post a Comment